George Hill (Oldham) Ltd has been a large part of Oldham industry for decades and this month we are delighted to be celebrating 95 years of trading as a major supplier of timber in the North West.
Where We Began:
Inspired by the timber business in America while spending some time there in the early 1900’s, exactly one year to the day after the First World War finally ended, George Hill Limited was established in Oldham by Saddleworth farmer, George Hill.
Alongside his son Wilfred and brother Roland, George Hill set up his timber company in converted cottages on Water Street, Oldham. Three years later, they were joined by George’s younger son, George Frank Hill. Between the two world wars of the 1900’s, the demand for timber grew with a need for better housing and despite the depression of the 1930’s, the business continued to grow leading to the acquisition of additional premises on Lady Street, Oldham (1932).
A Family Affair:
When George Hill died in 1948, the business passed to his two sons, George Frank and Wilfred Hill, who began to specialise in their own areas: purchasing and production. With dedication to quality and the selection of superior timber from around the world, the business continued to flourish and in 1960 the brothers purchased a five acre site at Scottfield from the council, tendering the 3 less-than-ideal, town-centre premises to the council for redevelopment.
By now a well-established supplier of quality timber, this new site was ideal for the company’s needs and has been our home ever since. Additional sites in Sale (1975), Bolton (1982) and Nelson (2002) have opened over the years as we continued to expand, eventually leading to the addition of another 5 acres at the Oldham site in 1983.
Not only was our square footage expanding but also our interests and products, offering a Builders Merchants and a ready-mix concrete plant. We also expanded into DIY products and began to produce a wider range of timber products due to a sizeable investment in new technologies.
Sadly our founder’s grandson, George Frank Hill (the third) passed away in August 2014. Today, George Hill (Oldham) Ltd is run by his daughter Jayne Hill, Andy Taylor (Son-in-Law) and son George William Hill. The company still hinges on the same ethos that it began with 95 years ago: a dedication to quality, specialist timber and a first class customer service experience.
Now employing 45 staff with the latest technology and equipment, operations at George Hill (Oldham) Ltd are more streamlined than ever. Whilst maintaining our specialist timber merchant business at the core, we still continue to supply quality doors, sheet materials, building supplies and hardware.
Celebrating 95 years of trading this month, we are proud to uphold the values that underpinned the company in it’s infancy whilst continuing, through foresight and forward planning, to deliver the products and services that tomorrow’s customers demand.